Point Blank Music School: Week 2



Week 2: Percussion, Groove, Warping and Clip Envelopes 

  • Layered Drums: multiple Impulse kits
  • Midi controllers: playing in live, OVR function
  • Hot Swap: single sounds and kits
  • Quantize, groove and swing
  • Warping explained
  • Percussion: warping loops, warp markers
  • Clip envelopes: events, automation

It's week 2 in the Point Blank Music School Ableton Live 1 Production course and things are starting to become ever so slightly more complex compared to last week. It's not the technical aspects of Ableton that are tricky, it's the fact that there are simply so many different options and work flows available that they sometimes are tricky to keep track of. Practice is the key! The videos from Point Blank that are available to each of the points you can see above are simply fantastic tools. Each process is explained step-by-step and it's always possible to re-visit the videos again and again. Particularly warping has been a tricky process for me to master and I can't say I am 100% confident in the way I use this feature, but until now I haven't even understood how it worked. Now I know how to move transient markers and how to "stretch" audio clips, both to ensure correct timing, but also in a more creative way (sound manipulation).

For the second Masterclass we got the opportunity to go over some challenges from last weeks curriculum. I presented my issues in getting time signatures right when analysis a piece of music. Conveniently others had the same challenge, so we spent a few minutes discussing this before moving on with practical examples of warping and quantizing.

This Sunday I will have my first 1-2-1 video chat with my tutor/instructor Freddy Cuin. For this occasion I have uploaded a project that I am currently working on, to get help and perhaps some nifty tips to make it sound better. Next week Point Blank is having Christmas Holidays, so the course is on standby until after Christmas. However, I will fill you in on my 1-2-1 experience next Friday and until then you can preview my current project, which will be the one we'll be working with on Sunday. Let me know what you think about it so far! :)



More info on the course I am taking: CLICK HERE (via Point Blank).
Also visit Point Blank to see all their programs and offerings: www.pointblanklondon.com

Comments

Popular Posts